The CLASSE HyperNews server authenticates using CLASSE Credentials. However, HyperNews does not recognize someone until they've registered with HyperNews
. To summarize, the restrictions are currently as follows:
- anyone can post a message to a forum using email, and they will receive any replies to their message
- anyone authenticating with a LEPP network principal can browse the HyperNews web interface
- anyone authenticating with a LEPP network principal and registered with HyperNews can subscribe to forums and post messages using the web interface
Hypernews pages and registration
You can get to HyperNews at LEPP by following the link:
You can use the "New Member" link to register with HyperNews at LEPP (note that your HyperNews "User ID" must match your CLASSE username)
After registering, you can update your membership info using the "Member Info" link. Note that, because we are using our network principals, the "Change Password" section on "Member Info" does nothing.
At the top in the navigation bar there is also a link "Subscribe to Forums". Here you can subscribe to any forum you like. By being subscribed you will get emails as soon as something in posted to this forum.
You can post messages to a forum by selecting the "Add Message" link on any forum page. Or to post a follow-up you can click the "Add Message" button under any message that you are viewing. In addition to post in the web browser, you can do it via email. If you want to respond to a posting that you got as an email, just reply to the message. And you can post new messages by sending email to the address listed as the "email gateway" at the top of each forum page.
If you receive email from HyperNews
, you can reply directly to the author (in which case no one else will see it). Or, by using the forum's email address (ForumNameemail@example.com
), you can reply to the author and all of the forum's subscribers.
The LEPP HyperNews
server will accept the following MIME types:
- document gif html pdf plain text msword ms-word msexcel ms-excel png jpeg excel powerpoint postscript
- We are currently working on implementing a mailinglist system with Hypernews. The way to use this system is detailed here.