"TPC performance studies in magnetic fields"
A TPC prototype was constructed specifically for tests in solenoidal magnets at TRIUMF and DESY, to evaluate the capabilities of a GEM-TPC in strong fields. A laser delivery system was added for further tests of the two track separation power of the device. For modest drift distances (up to 30 cm), at 4 Tesla the TPC surpasses the required spatial resolution to achieve the momentum resolution at the LC. The two track resolution is approximately the pad width. The expected dE/dx resolution is achieved.
A novel track fitting algorithm (using maximum likelihood) has been developed in order to meet these resolution goals. Other groups are incorporating this method for their prototype studies.
In mid 2005, we are presently analyzing the data collected in 2003 and 2004, for publication. We plan to get involved in the development of a large scale prototype in collaboration with other LC-TPC groups.
We have received adequate support from NSERC/Canada, along with local infrastructure support.
- What are the goals of this R&D project. How does this R&D project address the needs of one or more of the detector concepts?
- If there are multiple institutions participating in this project, please describe the distribution of responsibilities.
- Are there significant recent results?
- What are the plans for the near future(about 1 year)? What are the plans on a time scale of 2 to 3 years?
- Are there critical items that must be addressed before significant results can be obtained from this project?
- Is the support for this project sufficient? Are there significant improvements that could be made with additional support?
This topic: ILC/WWS > WebHome
> TrackVictoriaTPC >
Topic revision: 14 Oct 2005, DanPeterson
Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding CLASSE Wiki? Send feedback