Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source
Procedure: Making Purchases at CHESS
Prepared by: KM
Date Revised: 02/14/15
To purchase supplies or equipment to be used at CHESS
*Materials and Equipment Needed
- Computer with internet access
- Net ID
- Purchasing Card (in some cases)
- Clipboard with CLASSE Stockroom Sign-Out sheet (in some cases)
Procedure Stockroom Purchases
Stockroom Purchases for Users
- Gather the items you need to purchase from one of the CHESS Stockrooms
- The stockroom is located in the trailer at the end of the loading dock. You will need your Cornell ID card to unlock the door.
- Each item has a three to five digit stock number associated with it. Write down or remember the stock number of each item as you shop.
- Bring your purchases to the checkout computer (there is one in each stockroom)
- Type your NET ID in the Enter User Name (NET ID) box, and click Continue
- Choose the account the purchase will be charged to in the drop down box next to Enter WBS/Acct Code
- Purchases made for general CHESS operations are charged to the account Chess-Genl Ops.
- Enter the stock number of one of the items you are purchasing
- Enter the quantity of that item you are purchasing
- Click Add
- If you are purchasing more than one item, continue to repeat steps 3c – 3e until all of your items are added to the list.
- Click Checkout. A screen saying Checkout Complete should appear.
- If you want to print a receipt, click Print this page and choose the printer you would like to send it to.
- If you do not need a receipt, click Home at the top of the page
- Gather items needed from stockroom. Note the stock number of each item.
- Fill out the CLASSE Stockroom Sign-Out sheet (located next to the checkout computer in each stockroom)
- Fill in the date, User’s name, CHESS proposal number, stock item number, a short description of the item, and quantity purchased
Purchase Orders/Requisition Forms
- Cornell uses an online buying system called e-SHOP to make purchases from a number of outside vendors. The vendors listed on e-SHOP have made special online catalogs for Cornell University that provide us with discounts. It is less expensive to process an e-SHOP order than it is to process a purchase order or a credit card purchase. For these reasons, it is recommended that purchases be made on e-SHOP whenever possible.
- Link to e-SHOP: http://www.dfa.cornell.edu/supply/eshop/index.cfm
- Individuals who wish to make purchases on e-SHOP will need to get the rights to access the page as well as complete an on-line tutorial. See Chris Conolly for e-SHOP privileges.
- Fill out a requisition form to purchase items from a vendor that is not listed on e-SHOP
- See form F-OPS-001 for a blank requisition form
- E-mail the completed form to email@example.com
- Also include in the e-mail a quote or any information you have from the vendor that may be useful.
- If it is necessary to frequently make small (less than $500) purchases from vendors not listed on e-SHOP, you may be eligible to receive a P-Card (a Cornell credit card).
- See Chris Conolly for P-Card privileges.
- NOTE: You must submit a copy of the packing slip for any packages not puchased from E-Shop. Include your name, the date, the account the purchase was for and the buisness pupose of the items puchased. You can ndo nthis using the e-mail form or by dropping the invoiuce nin the box in the CHESS OPS area.
Rev. 1 – Initial document 5/18/12 KM
Rev. 2 – Changed procedure for stockroom purchases after new web-based system was put into place 5/23/12 KM
Rev. 3 – Added information about User purchases from the stockroom. Added header and page numbers. Changed title to “Making Purchases at CHESS” 3/11/13 KM
Rev. 4 – Changed location of stockrooms.
- 29 Aug 2017