CLASSE-IT Event Support Checklist
Providing IT and A/V support for special events at CLASSE -- symposia, conferences, site visits, user meetings -- can be very complex, depending on the location of the event and the technological capabilities required. Preparing for these events well in advance is essential to ensuring smooth operations during the event, and it allows us to better handle the last-minute emergencies/requests that inevitably arise.
To help us prepare for your event, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or use the Service Request
web form to give answers to the questions below.
IT and A/V Planning Questionnaire
- What WBS should we charge for supporting this event?
- When and where will the event take place?
- When will the venue be available for testing and prep work during the week before the event?
- FYI: at least a day before the event, we need to prepare the room, lay down power strips for participants, and test the equipment and network connections. If the venue is not a CLASSE space, we will need additional time for debugging and to request network connections from CIT.
- What is the approximate number of participants?
- Remote participants:
- Will there be any remote speakers/presenters?
- Will there be any other remote participants (listening but not speaking)?
- What videoconferencing platform is needed? (Zoom and Vidyo are preferred.)
- Will the presentations need to be recorded?
- If so, what quality of recording is required (low-quality for documentation or high-quality for presentation on the web)?
- Will the event need to be live-streamed to a public website?
- Will you provide grad student helpers for the event? Any labor that you can provide will lower your support costs. Helpers will typically be needed for:
- Before the event: preparing the venue.
- During the event: facilitating the transitions between speakers, operating the videoconferencing and video recording equipment.
- We need one person per room per IT function -- this can be helpers or IT experts.
- An IT expert will be on call and checking in regularly throughout the event.
What we provide
- Training of helpers
- Lots of power strips
- Laser pointers
- Extra batteries
- Presentation laptop (Mac) with Microsoft Powerpoint, PDF viewer, and Keynote for Mac
- Presentation clicker
- Video recording (via Zoom, or on a standalone recorder)
- Live streaming on YouTube
- Private printer