August 10, 2015
Partial Power Outage and Scheduled IT maintenance on Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Please plan for a general CLASSE (including CHESS) computing outage on August 11, 2015.
The Wilson Lab East and Center Modules, including the server room in EM107, will be without power beginning at 8:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, August 11. To minimize the number of disruptions to our users, we will take this opportunity to perform some planned infrastructure upgrades and maintenance. This includes the migration of several servers and services from EM107 to the newer server rooms in Wilson and the PSB. If all goes well, we expect power to be restored around noon on Tuesday, August 11.
Please take the following steps before going home on Monday
, August 10 on any Windows, Mac, or Linux computers that you use:
- End all of your editing sessions.
- Please logout, but do not shut down your system. CLASSE IT group members will be shutting systems down as needed.
When you return to work after Noon on Tuesday
, August 11, please reboot your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. If there are problems after a reboot, please submit a ServiceRequest
In advance of the power outage, the following services will be disabled:
- The queues on the CLASSE Compute Farm were suspended on Sunday, August 9 at 7:00 AM EDT, to allow all running jobs to finish before the power outage. Users may continue to submit jobs to the queues after this time, but no new jobs will be launched until after the power outage. LNX201, your desktop, or your project's dedicated compute node should be used for interactive jobs while the queuing system is down.
- All central filesystems will be unavailable beginning on Monday, August 10 at 11:00 PM EDT.
During the power outage, although most desktop computers will not be shut down, the following services will be unavailable:
- Email from CLASSE-managed computers
- Web browsing from CLASSE-managed computers
- Logging in to LNX201 or any CLASSE Linux computers
- CLASSE Compute Farm
- CLASSE website, wiki, and other web services
In addition, lnx201 will reboot during this power outage.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us by submitting a ServiceRequest
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.