December 7th, 2015
Internet Explorer 11 for CLASSE Managed Windows Computers
How does this affect me?
- CLASSE IT supports Firefox for all web browsing where possible. However, there are some very limited Cornell Central Services that require the use of Internet Explorer.
- This DOES NOT impact you if you browse all your web pages and web services with Firefox.
What is happening when and why?
- After January 12, 2016, Microsoft will support only the most current version of Internet Explorer (IE), version 11.
- We will install the IE11 update on CLASSE-managed Windows systems during a standard update window before January 12th, 2016, with the exact date to be announced later.
- After IE11 is installed on your computer, you may need to switch to Enterprise Mode to continue using some of your web applications, some examples include Hyperion/Brio.
What do I need to do?
- If you use Firefox, nothing.
- In those limited cases where you must use IE, please check the product and service documentation to see if IE11 is supported. Open a ServiceRequest if:
- any special steps must be taken (patches, configuration changes) for the product or service to work.
- IE11 is not supported by the product or service.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.