February 25th, 2013
LEPP Windows computers Firefox update during standard Windows update schedule
We will be updating the Firefox bundle as follows:
Firefox 17.0.3, Flash 11.6, Java 7u13
Recommended Exchange Junk Mail settings
Office 365 usually enables the Junk-Mail folder. We recommend that you explicitly turn it off.
There are three separate anti-spam settings provided by Cornell's e-mail services and Office 365. One of them is external to Exchange and Office 365. It determines whether messages should ever enter the Exchange mail system. Two of them affect how messages should be handled after they have been received by Exchange. While we recommend enabling the "Pure Message" external filtering, we do not recommend enabling Exchange's Junk Mail folder. The external filtering is quite conservative and blocks only the most egregious spam, but people usually forget to check the Junk Mail folder and miss important messages.
- https://whoiam.cornell.edu/ -- its "Electronic Mail" tab is external to Exchange
- Spam Blocking is at the very bottom of the page. It determines if messages considered spam should enter the Exchange system.
- Recommendation: Do not check the box "Opt out".
- OWA -- Outlook Web App at http://outlook.cornell.edu/
- Select Options --> See All Options --> Block or Allow --> Junk E-Mail Settings
- Recommendation: Select "Don't move e-mail to my Junk E-mail folder"
- Outlook -- Outlook 2010 or 2011
- Menu ribbon --> Delete field --> Junk v --> Junk E-mail Options --> Options tab
- Select "No Automatic Filtering"
- Do not select "Permanently delete suspected junk"
- Select "Disable links"
- Select "Warn me"
Office 365 notes
- It is a violation of Cornell policy to share your passwords with anyone else. Use Delegation if you want someone to manage your mail or calendar.
- To change Color Categories, the Delegate needs "Owner" access rights.
- Do not upgrade to iOS 6.1, There is still no fix for its Outlook problems. (iOS 6.1.3, which might fix it, is currently in "seed" testing.) If you've already upgraded, avoid responding to meeting requests. One symptom is that the battery discharges in 4 hours or less.
We are going to stop the w229_IBM_1567 and n123_ibm_1567 print queues. Please start using the w229_xrx_7800 and n123_xrx_7800 printer queues.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.