July 29, 2013
Power Outage at Wilson Lab - Saturday, August 3
Wilson Lab will be without power from 8AM until 12 noon THIS Saturday, August 3rd. Computers will be unavailable starting Friday 5PM, probably until Monday. Please take the following steps BY THIS FRIDAY:
- End all of your editing sessions and logout before going home on Friday, and certainly before 5PM.
- If you edit any important files, be sure to make copies elsewhere, just in case.
- People with laptops who will be on campus on Saturday and who need network access should use Cornell's Red Rover service. See http://www.cit.cornell.edu/redrover/
- There is no need for you to turn off any systems. CLASSE computer group staff will be shutting systems down as needed.
- Make sure that all batch jobs, including those running on the various compute farms, will complete before 5:00 AM Saturday morning. The Unix batch queues will be suspended from Thursday morning until late Saturday afternoon at the earliest, and most likely until late on Monday.
- When you return to work on Monday, please reboot your computer. If there are problems after a reboot, please submit a ServiceRequest.
Lots more information at https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/PowerOutage2013
Departing users: preserve your data!
At this time of summer student departures, we would like to remind mentors and supervisors to take steps to preserve the work of their students. To that end, we have prepared a checklist with helpful links to assist users in moving important files to centrally backed-up CLASSE disk space: https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/DepartingUsers
This checklist applies to anyone leaving the lab. In principle, completing this checklist requires minimal effort, if the recommended best practices on https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/DataStewardship
have been followed regularly.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.