May 6th, 2013
How To Use VPN at Newman
- Wednesday, May 8 10 AM in Newman 311: A presentation on "How To Use VPN" will be provided for those who need a way to access CLASSE networks while using Red Rover wireless networks
Newman CLASSE networking to CIT networking cut-over
CIT has finished installing and testing their new networking cabling in Newman Lab; the cut-over will take place as follows:
- Emergency Call Boxes have been installed and activated; pushing the button will call the police to the location of the box
- TODAY, May 6: VOIP (Voice Over IP) phones deployed
- but NOT installed
- some telephones should remain on analog wiring - if a new phone shows up in your office and you think you should be keeping your analog phone, send email to email@example.com AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
- Tuesday, May 7: VOIP phones installed
- early next week (exact timing to be determined)
- "LNS Protected" WAPs (Wireless Access Points) turned OFF
- Red Rover WAPs turned ON
After the cut-over:
- most (but not all) telephones will be VOIP telephones
- "LNS Protected" wireless will no longer be available in Newman Lab
- wireless networking will be via CIT's Red Rover wireless networks
- "LNS Protected" wired will still be available in Newman Lab
- CIT wired networking will also be available
Short outages for Windows server WinAPP and Stock Room Signouts Tuesday May 7th
On Tuesday May 7th, 2013, we will be restarting WinAPP
and the Stock Room back end servers at 10AM. The servers should be available by 10:15AM.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.