Details of Network, Computer and Power Outages at Wilson Lab:
Monday, August 9, through Saturday, August 14, 2010.
Technicians will be performing scheduled maintenance on the switching gear for Wilson Lab's incoming power. Work will start shortly before 7AM through 3PM, every day, starting on Monday, August 9 through Saturday, August 14. Hopefully, computers will be unaffected by the work being done on Monday.
- Most LEPP computers will be unusable starting at 6:30 AM on Tuesday, August 10.
- Many, but not all, of the affected systems will be available again from Tuesday evening until 6:30AM Saturday morning.
- All CLASSE computers (both LEPP and CHESS) will be unavailable starting at 6:30 AM on Saturday, August 14
- Only critical infrastructure systems are likely to be up before Monday, August 16.
What should you do?
- End all of your editing sessions and logout before going home every day.
- Unintentional power glitches may take down desktop and server systems before you return.
- If you edit any important files, be sure to make copies elsewhere, just in case there are computer system or disk failures.
- People with laptops who will be on campus Saturday and who need network access should use Cornell's Red Rover service.
- There is no need for you to turn off any systems.
- LEPP and CHESS computer group staff will be shutting systems down as needed.
- Make sure that all batch jobs, including those running on the compute farms in the LEPP trailer, will complete before 5:00 AM Tuesday morning, August 10.
For details about which power circuits will be down and systems will be affected, please see the Wiki page
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the LEPP or CHESS computer groups or send e'mail to firstname.lastname@example.org