Using VNC to view slides during CLEO Collaboration Meetings
We are experimenting with using VNC to give remote participants a high-definition view of slides.
Saturday's Plenary meetings in Clark Hall
To view the projection laptop's screen:
- open a web browser and browse to http://184.108.40.206:5800
- A java applet will start prompting you for a password. Enter "vnc" and click on "OK"
- Or, start a standard VNC Viewer application and connect to 220.127.116.11:5900
- Enter "vnc" as the password.
Meetings in Wilson Lab
Instructions for Remote Participants
To view the projection laptop's screen from off our network, it is necessary to tunnel vnc through ssh. This is required to get around our firewall.
- Open a terminal on your local system (using cygwin or equivalent if Windows).
- Use the following command (or similar) to connect to a LEPP system and tunnel the appropriate ports to mp184
- ssh -L 5800:mp184:5800 -L 5900:mp184:5900 lnx201.lepp.cornell.edu
- Open a browser on your local system, and use http://localhost:5800 for the URL.
- Enter "vnc" for the password, click "OK", and you should see a view-only picture of the projection laptop's screen!
- Instead of using a browser, you should be able to use a standard VNC Client and point it to "localhost:5900". (Please note that you still need to tunnel the appropriate ports through ssh.)
Instructions from inside LEPP
If you are already at LEPP (just not in the conference room you are watching) simply open a web browser and type http://mp184:5800
into the URL. This will open a page prompting you for a password. Type "vnc" (all lower case), click on OK, and you should see a view-only picture of the projection laptop's screen!
Alternatively, you can use a standard VNC viewer and point to mp184:5900.
- 04 Mar 2005