Vivaldi Web Browser
is a free web browser built on the Chromium
code base (which is the same code base for the Chrome browser). CLASSE-IT
has chosen to support Vivaldi because of its focus on privacy and its stable release schedule. Also, Vivaldi's rendering engine is widely compatibile with modern websites.
Tips & Tricks
Vivaldi default bookmarks
Vivaldi ships with a complete list of example bookmarks. If you want to clear them out before adding your own bookmarks do the following:
- Go to the "Tools" Menu and select "Bookmarks" from the drop down. This will open the Bookmark management page.
- Within the "Bookmarks" Folder, Select the top bookmark entry.
- Shift + click on the bottom bookmark entry (do not select the "Trash" entry).
- Press Delete on your keyboard.
Importing Firefox Bookmarks
For help on importing bookmarks from other web browsers, please see the importing and exporting bookmarks
section on the Vivaldi help site
Some sites require you to allow pop-ups for functionality. You can allow pop-ups by doing the following:
- Click on "Tools" in the menubar and select "Settings" from the drop down.
- Click on "Privacy" in the sidebar list on the left.
- Uncheck the box next to "Block Ads on Abusive Sites" in the "Do Not Track" section of the Privacy Settings.
- Close the Settings window.
How to use the computer’s default PDF viewer
- Go to the "Tools" Menu (either from the Vivaldi menu, or the top menu bar depending on your configuration).
- Select "Settings".
- In the search field type in "pdf"
- UN-check "Enable internal PDF viewer.
Go to Start
Menu -> Vivaldi
, or Double-click
the Vivaldi icon on your Desktop
Setting Vivaldi as the default browser
To set the file type associations for HTTP/HTTPS see our documentation here
. In this case, you'll want to change the "Web Browser" drop-down to Vivaldi.
Multiple Login Prompts
If you’re using a personal windows computer from home, you may find that you need to login repeatedly when accessing CLASSE web services. To work around this, you’ll need to:
- become an admin
- create an
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Vivaldi] registry key, that contains the following String value:
AuthSchemes = basic,digest,ntlm
This is automatically set on all CLASSE-managed Windows laptops.
A similar workaround should exist for all Chromium-based browsers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with problems or questions.
Go to Applcations
menu -> Internet
at the command line.
From the command line, use
, to use (or create if it doesn't already exist) a profile named "test".
To launch vivaldi and use the CLASSE CachingProxy
server for additional security (or to reach offsite from a private subnet), type on a command line: