2021: The Year in Review
Happy Holidays from all of us in CLASSE-IT! It has certainly been another eventful and unpredictable year for us. On the one hand, it is exciting to welcome new faces to CLASSE and to see new projects taking shape. At the same time, we continue to improvise through constant workplace changes and supply chain disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite all these challenges, CLASSE-IT activities have not slowed down, as you can see from our statistics for the past year:
- 2,900 new ServiceRequest tickets submitted by over 400 different users, generating 19,000 emails
- 680,000 jobs submitted to the CLASSE Compute Farm, consuming 74 CPU years of computer time
- 40,000 pages sent to our printers
- 460 TB of raw data collected by CHESS users (a new record)
- Nearly 50 new desktop and laptop computers deployed (not counting servers)
- Over 60 new network switches configured, mainly for the office move project
- Approximately 75 programming projects updated (out of 185 total) in our GitLab code repository
However, these numbers provide only a glimpse of CLASSE-IT's full scope. And in particular, they do not capture the countless rewarding interactions we have had every day with members of the CLASSE community. We are honored to support CLASSE's research and educational mission, and we wish all of you a safe and restful winter break. See you in 2022!
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.