CLASSE Computing Outage: 24-Jul-2020 to 25-Jul-2020
On Friday, 24-Jul-2020 and Saturday, 25-Jul-2020, a series of scheduled power outages at Wilson Lab will disrupt CLASSE computing services both onsite and offsite. We expect to have most services restored by Monday, 27-Jul-2020, although some recovery efforts might extend farther into the week. During the outage, the following CLASSE services will be unreachable from anywhere:
- Remote logins
- Compute Farm
- Samba / Globus / central filesystems
- Web services (wiki, Indico, Timesheet, CLASSE / CHESS / CBB websites)
Also, wifi, email, and web browsing will be unavailable in Wilson Lab. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us via a ServiceRequest
CLASSE VPN and ESET Updates: Monday, 06-Jul-2020
On Monday, 06-Jul-2020 at 10:30 AM, we are pushing the following updates to CLASSE-managed computers:
- ESET: The local firewall will be enabled and the client software updated. Users will be asked to reboot to complete the update.
- VPN: The client software configuration will be updated to improve performance, particularly for Windows users. For non-CLASSE-managed computers, the updated configuration can be downloaded from our VPN docs.
Laptop users should take the following steps to receive these updates:
- On Monday, 06-Jul-2020: Connect to the VPN for at least an hour, either during normal daytime usage or during Monday night updates (see below).
- On Tuesday, 07-Jul-2020: Disconnect from the VPN and reconnect to enable the new configuration.
CLASSE Windows Laptops: Monday Night Updates
If you are using a CLASSE-managed Windows laptop while working from home, please connect to the CLASSE VPN
and plug in the power cord every Monday night through Tuesday morning. Doing so will ensure that your laptop is kept up to date. As usual, these Monday night updates might require multiple reboots of your laptop.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.