IT Equipment for Home Use
If you plan to retrieve computer equipment from your office or lab for use at home, please inform CLASSE-IT by submitting a ServiceRequest
. Not all CLASSE computer equipment will work at home, and we will be happy to advise you on the best solution for your needs.
Similarly, if you need to purchase IT equipment or software which is intended for future use at CLASSE (e.g. printers, monitors), please coordinate with CLASSE-IT before making your purchase by submitting a ServiceRequest
. Doing so will ensure that we can easily support your new hardware/software.
CLASSE Windows Laptops: Monday Night Updates
If you are using a CLASSE-managed Windows laptop while working from home, please connect to the CLASSE VPN
and plug in the power cord every Monday night through Tuesday morning. Doing so will ensure that your laptop is kept up to date. As usual, these Monday night updates might require multiple reboots of your laptop.
Zoom Security Updates (Action Required)
In the near future, Zoom will implement two security changes that require the following actions by its users:
- Before Sunday, 24-May-2020, add a password to any Zoom meetings and webinars that you have already scheduled. Links to instructions are available here.
- Before Saturday, 30-May-2020, Zoom software must be upgraded to version 5.0 (use this link to determine your version number). If you have not upgraded by 30-May-2020, Zoom will prompt you to do so when you try to join a meeting or webinar.
- On personal devices, please follow these upgrade instructions.
- On CLASSE-managed systems:
- Linux: the upgrade will occur automatically.
- Windows: Zoom is user-installed. Please follow these upgrade instructions.
- Mac: we will contact you to schedule an upgrade, if necessary.
To request help with using Zoom for Cornell meetings and webinars, please contact the IT Service Desk
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.