General Network Maintenance: Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019 @ 10:00 AM
On Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon, we will be upgrading the LNS Protected network to a 10 Gb backbone in order to improve its performance. This work will result in a network glitch or short outage for all laptop users that are:
- on a wired Ethernet connection
- plugged into a docking station
- in L0, L0E, or the CESR tunnel
Laptop users on Cornell's RedRover/eduroam wireless networks and the CLASSE VPN
will be unaffected. Instructions for switching from a wired LNS Protected connection to Cornell wireless are available at LaptopUsersGuide
. Although we intend for this outage to be localized to the LNS Protected network, it is possible that wider network effects could be seen.
Newman Lab Network Maintenance: Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019 @ 10:00 AM
On Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019 starting at 10:00 AM, we will be upgrading the main CLASSE network switch in Newman Lab to improve the network speed for all Ethernet connections. As a result, network connectivity in Newman Lab will be interrupted for at most two hours (until 12:00 noon).
Linux Update to SL7.7: Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019 and Tuesday, 17-Sep-2019
Over the next two Tuesdays, we will be updating all CLASSE Scientific Linux (SL) 7 systems from SL 7.6 to SL 7.7 as follows:
- On Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019, starting at 10:00 AM, the central infrastructure clusters will be updated. During this time, there might be brief pauses in file access and service availability while individual servers are upgraded.
- On Tuesday, 17-Sep-2019, in the morning, all SL7 client systems (e.g. desktops and Compute Farm nodes) will be updated. New kernels and Nvidia drivers are included in this update, but they will not be be used until the computer is rebooted.
Release notes are available at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.7_Release_Notes/
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.