CST Studio Suite (Microwave Studio)
The CST Studio Suite license server has been updated with this year's license and moved from pc176
- CST Studio Suite will run on pcsrfcn1 and pc137 and linux computers - it has been updated in those places to use the correct license server
- CST Studio Suite will NOT run on other PCs
- they will complain that the license expired on May 31, 2018
- they will need to be pointed to lnxlm - to remedy, please submit a service request
Campus Wi-Fi Networks to be Upgraded Saturday, June 16, 2018
On Saturday, June 16, 2018, between 4:00am and 12:00pm, campus Wi-Fi networks will be upgraded. During this time, users may not be able to access the eduroam, Cornell-Visitor, or RedRover wireless networks. After the upgrade is complete, all eduroam users will need to re-authenticate once and accept the new "network-access.it.cornell.edu" certificate. (This will be necessary even for users who have never had to authenticate before.) For details:
End of the Windows 7 Era
Windows 7 has been in use for a long time at CLASSE -- since 2009. Microsoft has set an "End of Life" (EOL) date for Windows 7 of January, 2020. In preparation for this deadline, CLASSE-IT would like to have all Windows 7 computers off our network by 01-Jun-2019. That's about a year away. We have already been deploying all new Windows computers as Windows 10 for about a year, but we still have about 170 active Windows 7 computers. That means we'll need to mitigate about 4 computers a week between now and 01-Jun-2019.
To meet our goal, we will begin contacting users and prompting mitigations as described below. You can also choose to open a ticket using the https://wiki.classe.cornell.edu/Computing/NewComputerForm
at any time to schedule the mitigation. Available options for existing Windows 7 computers are:
- Re-image to Windows 10: This option is only available for computers deployed in 2016 or later. We will need about a week for the Windows 10 re-image.
- Replace computer with Windows 10 computer: If you have a Windows 7 computer deployed in 2015 or earlier, we can replace it with a new Windows 10 computer.
- Change OS to Scientific Linux 7 (SL7): This option is available to most computers regardless of age. For computers deployed in 2012 or later, we can usually migrate to SL7 without any additional upgrades. Older computers may require a RAM upgrade to at least 4GB, and often will get additional performance boost by installing an SSD.
- Decommission the computer: If the computer will not be needed after 01-Jun-2019, it can be left in place, and we will remove it sometime before 01-Jan-2020.
General network and server maintenance will occur every Tuesday from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
The CLASSE-IT group will always announce any expected disruptions in our NewsLetter
and via CLASSE-IT-NEWS-L
, but with the size and complexity of our network there is always the potential for something to go wrong. We will do our best to contain all network maintenance and planned outages to Tuesdays from 12 noon to 2:00 PM.
Unless other arrangements have been made, CLASSE-managed Windows systems may be updated and rebooted on Tuesday morning at 2:00 AM
, so please avoid critical or lengthy operations at that time. For more details, please see SystemExpectations
Questions or problems? Submit a service request.